|To ensure that the transport, tourism and sport sectors make the greatest possible contribution to economic recovery, fiscal consolidation, job creation and social development.
Minister Varadkar’s priorities as Minister between now and 2016 will be to:
- Develop and implement a realistic, affordable and deliverable plan to maintain and upgrade roads and public transport infrastructure;
- Drive efficiencies and rationalisation in the public transport companies in the context of falling subsidies;
- Encourage more people out of their cars by improving their experience of public transport through initiatives like integrated ticketing, better stations, better bus stops and real-time passenger information, safe cycling and attractive walking;
- Build on the success of the last government by keeping road fatalities and injuries down;
- Rationalise and restore our State-owned airports and ports to financial health and profitability;
- Increase the number of tourists coming to Ireland and improving their experience of Ireland and its regions;
- Improve local sports facilities, and support Ireland’s top-level athletes to compete on the world stage.