Tourism Development Policy Unit
The Tourism Development Policy Unit has responsibility for reviewing and facilitating the delivery mechanisms for State support for tourism as well as facilitating and reviewing the use of public funds for human resource, enterprise and product development in the tourism sector.
Key responsibilities of the Unit include:
- To ensure the appropriate policies and necessary structures and resources are in place to:
- champion the tourism sector and influence other stakeholders,
- support innovation and product development in the Irish tourism industry,
- support competitiveness, enterprise capability and sustainability in Irish tourism, and
- optimise the tourism budget and implementation structures.
- Matters relating to the corporate governance of Fáilte Ireland and corporate liaison with Shannon Development on its tourism activities.
- Policy issues relating to tourism development and structures.
- Policy responsibility for the development of the tourism product (including sports tourism and festivals and cultural events); the enhancement of quality and standards (including the framework for the registration and approval of visitor accommodation under the Tourist Traffic Acts); and enterprise development, human resource and training issues in the industry.
Services provided to the public
Dealings with the Public mainly relate to requests for information on potential funding for capital investment in tourism projects, and tourism-related festivals and events. However, neither the Minister nor the Department has direct responsibility for making decisions on the funding of tourism projects. The administration of tourism-related grant programmes is the responsibility of the tourism agencies under the aegis of the Department and other bodies. Further information on Fáilte Ireland's funding measures is available on the Fáilte Ireland website.
The Unit also plays a role in referring customer complaints received in relation to accommodation and other tourism matters to the appropriate bodies.
For further information contact
Donal Reddington(Tourism Product Development) (+353 64) 6627382
Keith O'Donnell (Tourism Enterprise Development) (+353 64) 6627346
Fax the Division: (+353 64) 6627386
Email the Unit: TourismDevelopment@dttas.ie
General information in respect of training and product development activities
and programmes operated by Fáilte Ireland is set out in a range of
publications available directly from them at www.failteireland.ie
Tel: (353 1) 8847700 or 1890 525 525
Fax: (353 1) 8556821