NOTICE TO ALL ELECTRONIC COMPANIES, EQUIPMENT SUPPLIERS, SHIPOWNERS, FISHING VESSEL OWNERS, AGENTS, SHIPMASTERS, PASSENGER SHIP MASTERS, SKIPPERS, FISHERMEN, YACHTSMEN AND SEAFARERS
The Marine Casualty Investigation Board in its report of the investigation into the loss of the fishing vessel MFV "DISCOVERY" made certain recommendations in relation to the coding and servicing of EPIRBs.
The Department of Transport wishes to advise persons engaged in the servicing and shore based maintenance of 406MHz Satellite EPIRBs that they should not under any circumstances attempt to programme or code a unit unless it is accompanied by a valid Ship Station Radio Licence or written notification from the Maritime Radio Affairs Unit of Department of Transport.
Programming, Registration and Licensing of EPIRB
1. EPIRBs must be programmed in accordance with the COSPAS-SARSAT Maritime User Protocol as follows; Maritime Identification Digit (MID) for Ireland which is "250" and the Radio Call Sign or the MMSI number of the vessel.
2. GPS EPIRBs must be programmed in accordance with the Maritime Location Protocol using either the MMSI number or the Radio Call Sign.
3. An EPIRB must be licensed in accordance with the requirements of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1926. The Ship Station Radio Licence covers the EPIRB.
4. EPIRBs must be registered with the following office,
Maritime Radio Affairs Unit,
Maritime Safety Directorate,
Department of Transport,
Tel: 01 6783453 Fax: 01 6783477 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration forms can be downloaded from the following website:
5. Confirmation of registration should be received within two weeks. If not, the owner should contact the EPIRB registry at the above address.
6. Correct programming and registration will ensure that the Search and Rescue (SAR) authorities have accurate and reliable information about a vessel in the event of an emergency or a false alert.
When changes are made in equipment, ownership, name, flag state, or other similar key information concerning a vessel, the owner must inform the EPIRB Registry immediately.
Maritime Safety Directorate
Department of Transport
28 September 2009
For any technical assistance in relation to this Marine Notice please contact
The Marine Survey Office, Leeson Lane, Dublin 2., tel: +353 1 678 3400
For information in relation to technical specification/type approval of radio equipment contact the Radio Surveyors, tel: +353 1 678 3453/3451.
For general enquiries please contact the Maritime Safety Division tel: +353-1-678 3418
Any enquiries concerning Marine Notices should be addressed to:
Maritime Safety Directorate, Department of Transport, Leeson Lane, Dublin 2
email: email@example.com or visit us at: www.transport.ie